The Big Sandy Library was organized in 1916 in a room over the Northern Montana State Bank with Miss Winnifred Rowe in charge. The library was later relocated to the Big Store with M.C. Lehner in charge. Miss Lorraine Tingley was librarian in 1922 and 1924 records show Miss Elvetta Fouts as librarian. In 1931 the library was moved to the old First National Bank building and Mrs. William McLean was librarian. Miss Anna Beck became librarian sometime later serving until 1942 when Mrs. Emma Beck took over. Mrs. Alfa Sibra was appointed librarian in1956 and served until her death in 1971. In 1962 the library was moved into the building next to the Mountaineer. The building had been purchased by Chouteau County from Bob Collins. Mrs. Richard Bush was appointed librarian in 1971 and oversaw many new books and memorials added to the library collection. In 1993 the Soil Conservation Service moved into a new building after being purchased by the Big Sandy Conservation District and not long after, in 1998, the Big Sandy branch library moved into the west half of the building where it is to this day.